|The purpose of this research is to:
- determine the relation between personnel development and organizational effectiveness;
- determine the manner in which personnel development is presently being applied at
technikons in the RSA;
- provide guidelines according to which personnel development should be taking place at
technikons in the RSA in order to improve organizational effectiveness.
A literature study was undertaken to determine the relation between personnel development and
An empirical investigation involving 14 technikons in the RSA was conducted to determine the
ways in which personnel development is presently being carried out at technikons in the RSA.
Some of the most important conclusions which were reached from the literature study and the
empirical investigation are the following:
- Personnel development can be regarded as one of the most important aspects within
any organization to promote organizational effectiveness.
- Organizational effectiveness can only be achieved if the career objectives of the
individual match and complement those of the organization.
- The implementation of programmes and methods such as a career development
programme, assessment centres, mentoring, quality control circles, induction
programmes and metacognition can make a positive contribution to organizational
- A healthy organizational climate including effective communication, plays an important
role in promoting personnel development and improving organizational effectiveness.
The following are a few of the most important recommendations arising from the investigation:
- Personnel development programmes should be offered on a continuing basis at
- Career development programmes aimed at the individual should be introduced at
- The technikon leader corps should receive training in the different facets of personnel
- Open communication channels within technikons as organizations should be promoted.
- Technikon personnel should be prepared to adapt to changing objectives.
- The introduction of career development programmes, assessment centres, induction
programmes, mentoring, quality control circles, and metacognition must be seriously
considered as methods of personnel development to promote organizational
effectiveness at technikons in the RSA.